Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Thanks...wait, what?

So, at work, I ring this nice older lady out for her two Gala Wine glasses, and we're into the Small Talk Routine. I wrap her glasses up, tell her the price, bag them up, and she exclaims, "Hey, I actually have the cash."

Something about how she sat $40 on the foyer table at home, and she left without it. But she had the five bucks for the glasses (or whatever), so I took it and gave her the nickel change. Somehow the Small Talk Routine then moved to how that nickel used to buy her grandpa a coffee, financial times "how they've changed," blah blah blah.

Then, she mentions how her husband "at Corporate" (but not Our Big House) talked to "The Lawyers" today. They charged between $430-500 an hour. So, I said the appropriate "Oh Wow, no Kidding, sheesh..." statement, then added my standard parting rapport-making statement of "I shoulda went to Law School (or Doctor, Computers, etc) instead of Journalism/English...ha ha ha."

And she replied: "Yeah, you should. You have the face of a lawyer."

Um, excuse me, but WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN?!?!

Face of a Lawyer.
I didn't know if I should thank her for a compliment or smack her across the face!

No comments: