Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Another great place disappears

This can probably still be labeled "rumor." Apparently one of the best places in Athens, Ohio to drink cheap beer, see great shows, and ogle hot hippie/punk chicks is closing up: The Union.

Here is how I received the news, emailed by a friend to a friend to a friend (reprinted without permission):

Subject: impending doom

well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the people got a right to know, and so.... the upstairs of the Union is closing. yeah, I know. No, it's true. unless some kinda miracle happens quick. Landlady Couladis had been charging 900 bucks a month, but apparently spurred on by her greedy evil children is upping it a bit, to the unfriendly tune of $2700 a month. different options have been bandied about, I'm told, but this seems to be the unacceptable solution that has stuck. it appears that this will be concluded by February. Although I got nothing right now, I will selfishly cling to the hope that it ain't over 'till it becomes apartments. all I know is if this is allowed to stand I'm leaving the country. any advice on how to make a Greek an offer that cant be refused?
tonight the deadly snakes will be playing the first wake. you are all invited, nay! summoned to the New Year's Eve Wake as well. Soldier on.

Tis a sad thing.

No comments: