Tuesday, October 26, 2004

The Mantra is a lie (but you knew that)

So, as any of you who work in Retail Hell know, the mantra drummed into your head (your Being, your soul) is "the customer is always right." I have noticed many times in the past (phhft! most times) that when the manager du jour refers to this, myself and my fellow associates usually either laugh or begin protesting in earnest, depending on the context/situation. Because as we know, my service comrades, the customer is not always right; sometimes they are not only wrong, but downright absurd ("you're right, lady, that seven year old hand-blown glass should have survived a five foot fall; therefore, we'll replace it for free immediately").

On the way to work today, I realized the mantra's meaning can be construed as insulting to associates. It implies that the customer is always right, and the associate is always wrong. Thanks, oh ruling management, thanks. You really stroke my bruised and bloody self-esteem.

To add further "dignity" to my life I spent fifteen minutes today at work using masking tape to gather red lint off a black comforter today. And it was my idea to do it.

No comments: